lunes, 25 de febrero de 2013


Eames rocking chair, RAR.

In my post today I am going to introduce you one of the most famous chairs in the World, for those who does not know about it, and for those who are a fan like me, I am going to try to expand your knowledge.

Like the title says, Eames Rocking chair, is the name of this chair, and it was designed in 1948 by Charles and Ray Eames.

First of all I am going to show you a picture, so you know exactly what I am talking about.



The chair was introduced to the public for first time in the Museum or Modern Art in New York City, in 1948, same year as when it was designed.

Describing the chair
If we watch the picture above carefully and we look at the base, does it reminds you of something? 
I am sure some of you know what I am talking about, but those who are not that sure will see it very clearly in a second. The base is inspired by the famous Eiffel Tower.

The seat shell shape was formed by fiberglass and dyed resin, and rockers were made with maple wood.

Later on, they started to use plastic for the shell, because they realized that plastic could be molded into organic shapes that would conform to the shape of the body.

Also this chair is 100% recyclable.

Today
Nowadays the chair is an icon of the modern design, but back in 1968 Herman Miller stopped the production, and it was not until 30 years later when the chair started his way to what is consider now. 

Why this chair is so famous?
Those who had the chance to sit on it, they described it as, beautiful, technologically advanced and very comfortable. We can not ask more for a chair right?

Also this is the kind of chair that we would like to put in the most comfortable place of our house, since they are perfect for reading a book while you have a coffee, for rocking a baby, or just to relax for a while.

The chair comes in different colors, here I show an example of them.


But...
If we have to say something negative about it, this will be the price. It´s true that not everybody can have this precious chair at their homes, but don´t get crazy searching for the price right now, because I have a solution for you.
There are many shops online where you can find a great replica. The quality of them are close to the real one, and they look almost or exactly the same as the original. So if you are willing to have this chair at home, but you are not willing to spend that amount of money,you can get one of those.

Examples 
Now I am going to show you some pictures where the chair is set in different rooms of the house, so you can decide which place you like better.

In a corner of our bedroom
In the kids room
In the living room. Personally here is where I think it looks best. We usually spend more time in the living room, so I think is a great place to enjoy it and also I am sure our guest will be fascinated with it.


More about Eames.
Apart from the Rocking chair, we can find a large variety of chairs designed by this couple.
Among all of them I chose two.

I) 

This one is very similar to the Rocking one. The shell is exactly the same but the base is different.

II)

This one has in common with the Rocking the Eiffel Tower shape base, but it does not come with the shell shape seat.
It is commonly use by companies for their meeting room.


So what do you think about my post? Would you get this chair for your house?

You can follow me on Twitter at  @whitecornerblog
Or you can check and like my Facebook page at  The White corner.





No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario